The Mission 11: The StarGift Project
What is the StarGift Project? It is a growing organization representing the evolution of the mission of child evangelism that God called me to, telling me “. . .to put IT into the hands of the children”, IT being a children’s story I had written in 1965. It is God’s story, but told specifically for children through the character of a little star who could not glow. Today, I believe God gave me this story all those years ago. See blog “Mission 8”
The objective of the StarGift Mission is to get copies of this book to all little children. . .everywhere.
The story is like a tiny mustard seed from which great faith may grow. So the StarGift Project is an outreach to young children to introduce them to our loving Father.
When I began to understand the mission to which I’ve been called, I recognized that this is clearly not something I can do by myself. I do not have a network of connections to children in the U.S. let alone throughout the world. And I do not have the resources to just have millions of copies printed to send them out in any event. I will need to build an organization to help fund and distribute books. . .to plant the mustard seeds. . .to grow children who know our loving God.
1: How can I create a network to get the story distributed to children?
Might I be able to leverage existing organizations with such networks? I felt it makes sense to try to leverage the mission networks of churches and non-profit organizations that serve children, rather than try to re-invent the wheel so to speak.
Now, how could I make a partnership between the StarGift Project and these organizations work not only to the benefit of the children but also to the benefit of the organizations that would distribute the books and to the StarGift Project itself?
Hold that thought for a moment.
2: How can I get copies of the book to distribute without the financial resources needed? The story is already a published book available on the retail market. When the book is sold by various book stores they receive a portion of the profit of course. But as the Author, I too receive a portion of the profit which I use to help fund the start up of another mission for developmentally disabled adults. See Mission 1
Would it be possible to find donors, people who love the story and are moved to buy some number of copies to be distributed to children somewhere in the world? If so, could I form a partnership between the StarGift Project and these would be donors that will benefit not only the children but the donors as well?
This story has become, for me, a gift that keeps on giving and I wanted to encourage the sharing.
My Vision: I would try to build an organization that brings donors together with churches and other non-profits to get this story to children everywhere. I chose to call it the StarGift Project.
- The StarGift Project would enable donors to purchase books at a price that is discounted from retail. The donors would have the opportunity to choose an organization to distribute the books they purchase. The distributing organizations would provide pictures, videos and written descriptions of distribution events so the donors could vicariously share in the joyful experience of ‘planting a mustard seed.’
- The StarGift Project would also enable participating churches and non-profits to use the book as a fundraiser by sharing any profit that remained after the discount to donors with them. Perhaps groups within the church would market the book through the community to raise funds for a domestic abuse shelter. Or perhaps they would raise money to be able to do mission work outside of their community. . .travel expenses.
- Finally, the StarGift Project would provide support services:
- I would develop and maintain a web site where donors could make contributions and select a participating organization to distribute their contribution.
- Participating organizations would be granted permission upon request to use the story for Christmas presentations of music, theatre, dance etc. for children, at not cost.
- As the author, I would make myself available to do readings for children, and to share my testimony and the mission goals with congregations and non-profit groups, at no fee.
The StarGift Project would become a non-profit organization. So, I would try to identify people who are willing to participate on a Board of Directors or to otherwise volunteer to help build the StarGift Project, and we would file for non-profit status once we meet the qualifying criteria.
The StarGift Project Outline: I have drafted an outline of the StarGift Project. It is an outline, and a tentative one at that because I believe those who volunteer and are selected to sit on a Board of Directors should have input in shaping the organization. I believe that participating churches and non-profits also should have input. I hope that several churches and non-profit organizations will have representation on the board. And I hope I have offered enough options that participating organizations can customize their participation to best fit their needs.
Please pray for this effort. And if you are moved to help use the ‘contact’ information at the top of this page.
God loves you. God provides you with gifts. You may use these gifts to honor Him.