May 27, 2015
Meeting commenced with a prayer for guidance.
Note to Chad: I will print off and send you the docs embedded in these minutes.
These minutes continue the discussion of by-laws and decisions reached via vote.
We are leveraging these example by-laws. Bylaws of the National RSD Assistance Center
On Duties of Officers we agreed:
- Jodi will create a draft of the duties of Chairperson from the sample bylaws for the next meeting
- Pam will create a draft of the duties of the Vice-Chairperson from the sample bylaws for the next meeting.
- Pam will create a draft splitting out the duties of Secretary and Treasurer from the sample bylaws for the next meeting.
- Under Article VI, Board of Directors, we agreed by three votes of Aye, to:
- Retain the wording of Section 1. General Powers. Except to change the name of the organization to StarGift Project.
- Retain the first three sentences of SECTION 2. Number, Tenure and Qualitifcations. We have pended decisions about requirements for membership on the Board until we research this document and others.
- Retain the wording of SECTION 3. Meetings.
- Take SECTION 4 under advisement. We are perplexed by the reference to any “five (5)” and about alternatives. Pam will prepare a suggested alternative for next meeting.
- We agreed in concept with SECTION 5. Notice but would like to include personal contact as an option for delivering notice of special meetings. Pam will draft modification for next meeting.
- Retain the wording of SECTION 6, Quorum except to remove the words “in good standing”
- Retain the wording of SECTION 7, Manner of Acting.
- Retain the wording of SECTION 8, Resignation and Removal of Directors
- Retain the wording of SECTION 9, Informal Action by Directors
- Retain the wording of SECTION 10, Presumption of Assent
- Retain the wording of SECTION 11, Vacancies except to consider removing the following words: “and a director so elected shall serve until a successor is elected and installed.” [Revisit this]
- Agreed in concept to SECTION 12, Compensation, although we would consider adding a few words to clarify that members of the Board of Directors shall serve without compensation for this specific service. [Implies they may be compensated for other activities that advance our goals through day to day operations.] Also will change “North Carolina” to “Illinois.”
This working copy includes my drafts and notes relative to the agreements above.
- We had some discussion about the topic of Finance and looked up definition of bonds in context.
- Meeting was closed with a prayer
- Our next meeting is Wednesday, June 10th at the Lancaster home. Enjoy tomorrow!
Note to all: Two steps forward and one step back. I found an example of bylaws that were as ‘simple’ as I can imagine, and sent out a link. I would like to create an alternative draft based on the simpler bylaws. . .and consider adding in any details we may feel are critical at this time. Bylaws are not a legal document. But you share them with the state to show transparency. So if we keep them as bare bones as possible, we can amend them when we confront issues we need to resolve.
Let me know if you have concerns with this. Otherwise, I will send out such a draft with the next agenda.