The last newsletter covered progress on the Village Project. This Newsletter will update you on the StarGift Project as well as the studio and provide some information about upcoming events!
StarGift Non-profit status:
I planned at the beginning of the year to try to achieve non-profit status for the StarGift Project. That goal will have to be moved to 2015! I have received examples of by-laws which will be used to jump start the creation of by-laws for the StarGift Project.
Although I sent literature out to over 300 churches, I have not been able to followed up with personal meetings with all of the churches. So much depends on churches and non-profits deciding to participate in the StarGift Project by being willing to get copies of the books delivered to children through their mission networks and agreeing to be listed on the StarGift web site. [While I did get the web site up. . .I feel it is still under development. . .but please review it and share your thoughts.]
On the plus side, some of the organizations we’ve been in touch with are interested in finding ways to get the book to children. . .but we have not had the opportunity to present the idea of a web site to bring these organizations and donors together. Each organization has a different structure for engagment and decision-makinge and often the decisions are made by individual groups or committees within the church. So the first step seems to be to identify leadership within these groups.
- First Presbyterian Church of Le Roy purchased books for all of the children in their Little Learners Program. They are planning some programming around the story for the Christmas Season. They declined to share in profits so their contribution will help to fund the StarGift Project and the Village Project. This is a blessing!
- Heartland Community Church of Normal will host another reading of the book for parents and children at their Christmas Party for our After School Program Families on 12/17. The reading is scheduled at 6:15 PM. This church will also be adopting families and asking donors to purchase a book to include with the family gifts! Another wonderful blessing!
- Would you like to help schedule a reading for parents and children at your church or private school . . .or for a group of home-schoolers? I have prepared a letter that you can share with directors of Christian Education or anyone who may be able to schedule a reading! Feel free to contact me. [see contact info at the bottom of this letter]
- A dear friend, Amy, purchased 20 books for distribution to children who are clients of Marc First where she works serving children and adults with special needs. We are looking at providing a reading/distribution of the book at their Christmas Party or other arranged function.
- I am communicating with a facebook friend in South Africa about getting books to children in and orphanage, children who have been orphaned by AIDS. If this works out, I will be asking for help with donations of books for their children. You can learn more about Open Arms by visiting their web site.
Use of the story for Christmas Celebrations:
Churches and other non-profits can build programs around this story. I will provide permission to use the story [no fee] but 1.) must be able to pre-approve the script [to ensure consistency with story] and 2.) receive photos or video of the event. If you are a member of a church in Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana or surrounding areas, or if you are a board member or volunteer for a non-profit organization, perhaps you would be willing to talk to groups to make them aware of the StarGift Project. Or perhaps you’d be willing to send out a prepared email or letter. Please contact me if you can/will do this and I will send you the content.
Status: Publish a Spanish Translation of “The Star Who Almost Wasn’t There.”
My brother completed a translation of the story into Spanish. I sent it to a few bi-lingual people for input but so far have only received feedback from one. That feedback was positive. Then I have a bi-lingual friend who also started working on a translation. . .and sent the first 8 verses . . .but have not heard more on that. I really need to follow up better! I will also have to move this goal to 2015.
Status: Publishing a coloring book version of “The Star Who Almost Wasn’t There.”
Finally, the work to turn the book into a coloring book. . also must be moved. I’ve offered to pay several people to 1.) trace the drawings to get a start that can be scanned into software. . .or to use 2.) Adobe Illustrator to re-create the drawings. A few people have dabbled with it. ..but so far no one has made a committment to do the work. If you have skills to trace or translate with Illustrator and are willing to talk about price. . .please contact me.
Events scheduled in 2014 [to date]
Festival of Trees, Bloomington-Normal Nov. 21, 22 and 23
I will participate as a vendor at the Festival of Trees in Bloomington-Normal. Although I am not creating a tree for this festival this year, we will be doing readings of the story in the “Jinglebell Junction” [children’s activities] during the day Friday, Nov. 21 and again Saturday morning at 9:30 or 10 AM with a potential second reading around 11:30/11:40. [Im hoping to have ‘Star’ with me on Saturday! I planned to do a tree for Champaign and also be a vendor there, but at that Festival you must be present to be a vendor and I would need volunteers to man the gift table there!
In addition to books, this year our ‘consignment’ shop will include ‘Star’ ornaments, ‘Star’ t-shirts, ‘Star’ refrigerator magnets and some other products created in the shop. If you are a crafter, I invite you to contact me about including some of your work in our consignment shop at the Festival of Trees.
Festival of Tress, Champaign-Urbana Nov. 21, 22 and 23
It has been my intent to bring the Star to Champaign-Urbana by participating in their Festival of Trees. Because all three Festivals of Trees are on the same weekend [B-N, C-U and Peoria] I am finding it difficult to split my time between even two.
- Can you, and are you willing to help get a tree to C-U [will need to transport an already decorated tree] and help add finishing touches to tree?
- Or help man a gift shop there, please contact me! Otherwise, this too will have to be moved to 2015. . .and I will not participate in B-N next year.
- Please volunteer to help. [See contact info at the bottom of this letter]
Nov. 22 at 1:00 PM, Book Reading a the Museum in Le Roy
Dec. 6th at 8:00 AM, Immanuel Bible Foundation’s 2014 Women’s Christmas Celebration
I will again provide centerpieces and attend the Immanuel Bible Foundation’s 2014 Women’s Christmas Celebration at the Uptown Marriott in Normal on Saturday, December 6th, 8:00-10:00 a.m. The Immanuel Bible Foundation also supports the arts and guests are invited to browse all the centerpieces and purchase items from the artists after the program. I will have books. . .as well as ‘Star’ t-shirts, ornaments. . .and refrigerator magnets.
Pamela Hahn Hieser Spirit of Light Creativity Studio 122 East Center St Le Roy, Il. 61752 firstname.lastname@example.org 309-310-6934