The Star . . . Newletter 2
If this is the first ‘Star’ newsletter you’ve received, you may want to read “The Star. . .Newsletter 1] first.
A lot has happened since early December!
- As of the first newsletter there were 2 book signings scheduled. The one at the Olive Garden was the most successful, but then it was sponsored by Good News Radio and had publicity! I added signings at Berean Bookstore which had the book for sale, and I had the first ever public reading and book signing at the LeRoy Library.
- Since the first of the year I’ve met with an attorney about creating a not-for-profit. I learned that can be an expensive proposition, but he pointed me to the Prairie Community Foundation. I met with the Director, Myra Gorden. The Foundation maintains accounts for things like family foundations and for organizations that can use their not-for-profit status. I believe I will work with them to create accounts for the two missions I hope to get started in central Illinois: A residential work community for developmentally disabled adults [based on lambsfarm.org] and a tuition free college focused on character building [based on College of the Ozarks, cofo.org].
But the funds for that will come from sale of the book, so that will have to wait until I am generating enough revenue to make sense to open such accounts.
However, the Foundation cannot provide an account for the mission to put the book into the hands of the children.
- So, I will continue to work with churches and other not-for-profits, sharing the profit with them.
In January, I met with the four head pastors of churches in LeRoy. They seemed very positive and have indicated that they would be in contact.
I am asking church leaders if groups within the church would like to partner in the mission of getting the book to children everywhere. If so, they can sell the book and I will share profits with them. Hopefully they will be able to sell not only to people who want the story for their own children and grandchildren, but who want to see it distributed to children who might not otherwise get it. Those books are purchased as donations to a mission trip. The participants in the mission take the books with them for distribution. Please pray for this effort. It is the one that God has called me to.
- I met with Angela from the Baby Fold to explore the possibility of creating the ‘youth flash mob’ to tell the story, during the Festival of Trees next year. They are interested in the possibility and currently are assessing the acoustics in the new venue to determine if it can be well done.
- Copies of the book have been provided to Second Pres of Bloomington, and I am told they are planning next Christmas’s activities around this new story. That is what I originally asked of the pre-school directory. So I think we will see the first little plays based on this story in 2013!
- I did a reading for children at our family party. That was videotaped and I am looking for a production company that may be able to clean up the sound quality and edit the tape for posting to you tube. Do you know someone with these capabilities? I would like to do business locally first!
- I am working on creating sample ornaments and lights of the Star, to decorate a Christmas tree for the Festival of Trees. If successful, these will become available for sale perhaps in 2014.
- Last week, I donated 10 books to a mission in Jerusalem. I hope the children there love them.
- In May, one of my brothers and I will deliver 30 books to the church we grew up in. Our old neighborhood has changed over 50 years, and the church now has a small congregation and very small youth group. But they do provide a summer program for about 30 children.
I am preparing to start a new blog series about changing our culture from within. You can find those blogs on this site! I hope you decide to read and engage by making comments and emailing me at Hahn@thespiritoflight.com